The meeting was attended by HSE offices from all over the UK and Northern Ireland. The aim of the meeting was to show the HSE officers the types of toilet and welfare facilities available to hire to the Construction Industry.
The Managing Director of Site Equip, Geoff Gilbert, took a welfare unit to show the standard that could be achieved and the scope of products available on the market, which can be hired. The HSE approved the welfare unit as fully compliant with all aspects of health and safety. The HSE are now looking for compliance with their own guidelines on sites. An improvement notice will be given if the guidelines are not met upon an inspection. Furthermore if they fail to provide facilities within the timescale they will be prosecuted with a hefty fine.
A construction site should provide:
- Clean and working toilets
- Washbasins with hot and cold running water
- Soap and towels
- Sinks large enough to wash face, hands and forearms
- Somewhere to change dry and store clothing
- Drinking water and cups if needed
- A rest area to sit, make hot drinks and eat food